Brevity is the width of soul.

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Well Defined Expertise

I made a note to keep an eye on her when a psychopath with an axe killed everybody in her grandfather's hotel but her.

When her boat sunk and an unknown species of sharks ate her boyfriend and her friends I put a full time surveillance team on her.

The surveillance team was killed by a malfunctioning autonomous border defense robot. She survived, of course, but my mention of her was dismissed by my skeptical boss.

Then a pack of dogs exposed to a military grade adrenal stimulant got somehow loose in her neighborhood. As the paramedics helped her -and only her- out of her building, my boss relented and told me to hire her as an independent survival consultant.

I blanched and offered my resignation on the spot. I had meant to trick the enemy into hiring her.

After all, she was always the only survivor.

.finis.

2 comments:

DarkDancer said...

*snicker* I love that little twist there at the end. And I can totally understand the thoughts behind that desire. lOved this.

Meg said...

Do you know what I hate about your fics? They are so freaking awesome, but so short! I always get hooked! I wanna know more: who she is, how she does it, who's the smart guy, who's his enemy, who does he work for, and so on and so forth. You're such a tease.