Brevity is the width of soul.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Swordless

The philosopher and the warrior were drinking tea.

"I have heard," said the philosopher, "that you have retired from the study of the art of war."

"That is so."

"You have reached, then, what you've been looking for all these years?"

The warrior bowed his head slightly.

The philosopher asked with childlike curiosity. "Have you mastered the art of killing with the sword?"

"I can kill without fighting," said the warrior without pride.

"Can you defeat many samurai at the same time?"

"I could," said the warrior after some deliberation, "destroy all samurai in Japan with a single blow. That is why I've decided to quit my studies, and I wish only that I had stopped before."

The philosopher sipped his tea and considered his words. "If you can do it, I believe you should."

"Why should a man of peace like yourself counsel me to unleash such destruction upon our land?"

The philosopher shrugged. "The samurai's grip on Japan is a heavy, proud one, but only supported by their prowress in battle. If they can be defeated by one man, they no longer deserve to rule Japan. I look forward to such a day."

The warrior looked at his friend. "Do you realize the price of what you are asking?"

The philosopher gazed back at him. "Do you realize the price of not doing it?"

The warrior thought silently for half an hour. "So be it."

Then he took ink and paper and wrote a letter. It talked about treasure and trade in a barbarous language from far over the sea.

A year later, a strange ship entered Edo's harbor.

.finis. 

5 comments:

razorsmile said...

Philosophers are dicks?

No, that's my generic first response.

Philosophers are ironically the ones who grasp the human condition the least and, given the power, most likely to completely cock things up?

Yeah, that's more like it.

---------------

Now who does that samurai remind me of ... :)

Melissa said...

Fantastic as always. :)

DarkDancer said...

Now that was absolutely brilliant. I wasn't sure where you were going with this, until that last line. That last line was perfect.

RW said...

Mental masturbation pure and simple.

RW said...

Simply mental masturbation, nothing else.