Brevity is the width of soul.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Double Entry

I checked my spreadsheet. "You have to pay for the life-saving treatment of fifteen kids or forty-two adults."

"That's all?"

I smiled as professionally as I could. "It's what we do, Mr. Davenport. We find the most convenient and cost-effective way for you to balance your karma."

"And suppose I, say, incurred on unexpected karmic debts in the future. Would I be able to rebalance without heavy penalties?"

"We have a emergency services branch." Actually, it was our main line of business. The more you waited, the more likely it was you would have to pay back karma in unexpected ways. "Let me give you our 24/7 contact number."

Judging by the plotting look of his eyes, I suspected he'd be calling us very soon.

.finis.

3 comments:

Meg said...

This ought to be rather creepy, but I found it just endeeringly charming and funny.
Mr. Davenport sounds like such a delightful chap!

razorsmile said...

I don't know, I rather fancy the other guy myself :)

Anonymous said...

Indulgences come full circle.